- Distinguished Professor in Computer Science in the Engineering, Computer Sciences and Imaging laboratory (UMR CNRS 7357) of the Strasbourg University in Strasbourg (East of France) since Sept. 2007.
- Expert for Franco-Azerbaijani University  (co-created in 2016 with Philippe Turek and Jean-Marc Planeix, under the presidency of Alain Beretz).
- Co-coordinator (with Cyrille Bertelle of Le Havre University) of the CS-DC UNESCO UniTwin (President: Paul Bourgine), cf. CS-DC Council Meetings.
- Coordinator of the Strasbourg CS-DC.
- Director of the E-laboratory on Complex Computational Ecosystems (ECCE).
- Head of the Computer Science departement of the Strasbourg University since July 2011.
- Founder of the Strasbourg Complex Systems Digital Campus in May 2012.
- Head of the FDBT team from 2007 to 2012. (The FDBT team works on data-mining, machine learning, optimisation and theoretical bioinformatics.)
- Leader of the SONIC (Stochastic Optimisation and Nature Inspired Computing) group in the FDBT team.
- President of the French Evolution Artificielle society from november 2003 to november 2007.
- Expert for the UK EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council) since June 2007.
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Artificial Evolution and Applications (Stefano Cagnoni, chief editor).
- Pseudo Erdös number: 3 thanks to Pierre Liardet ;-)
Following a Master's degree in Operating Systems at the Paris VI University in 1990 and a research internship at INRIA Rocquencourt on the kernels of distributed object-oriented operating systems, Pierre Collet worked briefly as assistant manager of an airline company called Euroways, in 1992 and 1993. After a PhD thesis of the Orsay University, in Computer Aided Surgery through virtual reality between 1994 and 1997, he went on a post-doc internship on artificial evolution and genetic programming in the Fractales Project of INRIA Rocquencourt, managed by Jacques Lévy-Véhel and Evelyne Lutton. From 2000 to 2003, he was researcher in the Artificial Evolution and Learning team of the Center of Applied Maths of the French école Polytechnique (CMAPX), directed by Marc Schoenauer, as a member of the DREAM (Distributed Resource Evolutionary Algorithm Machine) European Project. In Feb. 2003, he became assistant Professor at the Université du Littoral Côte d'Opale in Calais, and defended an habilitation thesis in June 2004. In Sept. 2007, he was appointed full Professor in Strasbourg in the LSIIT lab, as head of the new FDBT team, following the retirement of Jerzy Korczak.
- Research domain : optimisation of complex problems using nature-inspired stochastic algorithms.
- Applications in: data-mining, bioinformatics, collaborative work, cellular automata, computer vision, cochlear implants fitting, pedagogical paths in e-learning, ...
- Specialised in:
- Complex Systems
- Genetic Programming,
- Evolutionary algorithms (genetic algorithms, evolution strategies, and other similar paradigms),
- Interactive evolutionary algorithms,
- Ant Colony Optimisation (ACO).
- Learning Management Systems.
- Computer Aided Surgery.
- Avionics and flight.
- Conference / events organisation :
- Co-organiser of the 8th International Conference on Artificial Evolution (EA'07) in Tours (France), Oct. 2007.
- Organiser of the second French Evolution Artificielle summer school in Yravals (south of France), May 2007.
- Chairman, with Valentin Masero, of the Computer Applications in Health Care (CAHC'07) track of the 22nd Symposium on Applied Computing of the ACM (SAC'07) in Seoul, March 2007.
- Organiser of the first French Evolution Artificielle summer school in Yravals (south of France), June2006.
- Programme Chair, with Marco Tomassini of the 9th international conference on Genetic Programming EURO-GP'06 in Budapest (Hongrie).
- Chairman, with Valentin Masero of the Computer Applications in Health Care (CAHC'06) track of the 21th Symposium on Applied Computing of the ACM (SAC'06) in Dijon (France), in March 2006.
- Co-organiser of the 7th International Conference on Artificial Evolution (EA'07) in Lille (France), Nov. 2007, and of the 6th International Conference on Artificial Evolution (EA'05) in Marseilles (France), Nov. 2007.
- Publications Chair of the 8th international conference on Genetic Programming EURO-GP'05.
- General Chair of the 5th international conference on Artificial Evolution Evolution Artificielle (EA'01.
- Co-organiser of 12 JET workshops (Journées Evolutionnaires Trimestrielles) .
- Member of the advisory board and author of 3 introductory chapters of the Handbook of Research on Nature Inspired Computing for Economics and Management, edited by J.-P. Rennard, Sept. 2006.
- Chief Editor, with Evelyne Lutton of two volumes on Artificial Evolution of the French journal TSI (Lavoisier), January 2007.
- Author of the EASEA (EAsy Specification of Evolutionary Algorithms) language, (first version presented during the EA'99 conference), which has been downloaded more than 4000 times since March 2001.
- Promoter of the in.silico web site, and moderator of the Évolution Artificielle forum.
- Interviews on in.silico</a> (1 and 2, to be followed...).
- Interview in the French Automates Intelligents</A> of April 2001.
Publications within LSIIT since September 2007
CIFRE PhD of the Lyon I University, and the Université de Strasbourg. Starting on: Octobre 2007. Ph-D Student: Olivier Kuhn Involved laboratories: * LIRIS (UMR 5205-CNRS), Université C.B. Lyon I, * LSIIT (UMR 7005-CNRS), Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg. PhD supervisors: * Pr. Parisa Ghodous, LIRIS, * Pr. Pierre Collet, LSIIT. Industrial partners: Prostep France et Prostep Allemagne.
- Member of the British (EP/D066174/1) EPSRC project on the emergence of computation in cellular automata, with Andy Adamatzki and Emmanuel Sapin (post-doc), from Oct 2006 to Oct 2007.
- Scientific director of the French ANR-RNTS project HEVEA
(Handicap : EValuation de l'Ecologie Auditive) on the optimisation of cochlear implants fitting, in collaboration with:
- Service ORL du CHU Avicenne (Bobigny), Pr. Frachet,
- Centre de Ressources Technologiques INNOTECH (Bobigny).
- Head of the CCI Master's Degree of the Université du Littoral Côte d'Opale from 2003 to 2006.
- Courses on:
- Artificial Intelligence,
- Artificial Evolution,
- Genetic Programming,
- operating sytems and computer architecture,
- programming langages (C, C++, Java).
Projects or internships for 2007 / 2008
- Evolutionary Algorithms and Crystallographic Structures.
- Programming evolutionary algorithms on NVIDIA GE-Force 8800GTX.
- Exploitation of optical bokeh for depth analysis on monocular cameras..
- Deconvolution of blurred images by hierarchical evolution.
- Adapting the Fly Algorithm to humanoid robotics.
- Study of the respective advantages of mutation and crossover in genetic programming.
- Using a CMOS camera for stereovision using a real-time evolutionary algorithm.
Web site of Valérie (my wife).
I have the C337 office in the Pôle API building.
Prof. Pierre Collet LSIIT - UMR7005 Pôle API Bd Sébastien Brant - BP 10413 67412 Illkirch cedex
Tel : +33 (0)3 188.8.131.52 Fax : +33 (0)3 184.108.40.206 E-mail : Pierre.Collet @ Lsiit.U-Strasbg.Fr