- Research director CNRS, at the Engineering science, computer science and imaging laboratory, University of Strasbourg, Unité Mixte de Recherche CNRS 7357.
- Joint head of LBGI Bioinformatique et Génomique Intégratives.
- Scientific leader of the bio-informatics and complex systems platform BICS and the bioinformatics platform BISTRO.
My research interests are mainly focused on the development of robust, automated and integrated in silico approaches (analytical / statistical approaches, data integration and mining, extraction and representation of knowledge ...) to study the evolution and behavior of complex biological systems ("hyperstructures", networks) in humans and various animal models. Taking advantage of our integrated computational approaches and in the context of collaborations at the international, national and local level, we participate in the analysis of complex systems involved in various human diseases, including the study of functional impairments associated with retinal or brain diseases, identification of genetic variations related to ciliopathies and characterization of the genomic and transcriptomic context in various cancers.
On-going Projects (with funding)
- Partner, FRM project: 1000 exomes against myopathies: integrated identification and analysis of novel genes (2014-2017)
- Partner, ANR infrastructure project: “ReNaBi-IFB : Structural bioinformatics" (2013-2020)
- Task leader, ANR infrastructure project BIPBIP: ‘Bayesian inference paradigm: Biology in processors’ (2012-2017)
- Bioinformatics development for INSTRUCT : European Strategy Forum for Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) (2011-2016)
- Bioinformatics development for ‘French Infrastructure for Integrated Structural Biology’ (FRISBI) (2011-2016)
- Task leader, ANR project: EvolHHuPro, “Definition of evolutionary histories for the human proteome” (2007-2010)
- Task leader, AFM Décrypthon project: “Large-scale identification of transcriptional networks during myogenesis" (2007-2009)
- Partner, FP7 project: SPINE2-Complexes (From Receptor to Gene: Structures of complexes from signalling pathways linking immunology, neurobiology and cancer) (2006-2009)
On-going Projects (without funding)
- Contributions to UNESCO UniTwin Complex Systems Digital Campus
- Evolutionary analyzes of protein sequences from NGS data, applied to Health in collaboration with the team Data Science and Knowledge and the theme SONIC: Stochastic Optimization and Native Inspired Complex Systems.
- GREMSAP (GRid Evolutionary Multiple Sequence Alignment Platform), in collaboration with the theme SONIC: Stochastic Optimization and Native Inspired Complex Systems.
- Social Network Clinical Database for Intellectual Disabilities : Implementation of a social network of patients with genetic disorders leading to intellectual disabilities, in collaboration with the theme SONIC: Stochastic Optimization and Native Inspired Complex Systems, the team Médecine translationnelle et neurogénétique, IGBMC andl’Université Cheikh Anta Diop, Senegal.
- Big data infrastructure for the translational analysis of the mutations involved in human genetic diseases. SM2PH-central aims to integrate heterogeneous data (genomics, phenotypic, evolutionary, cellular networks, ...), with data mining methods (association rules, inductive logical programming, ...).
French representative for Elixir European infrastructure, Programmes of Work : (i) ‘data interoperability strategy’ et (ii) ‘training’ Alternate member of the steering committee for the French Bioinformatics Institute (IFB)
Book editor “Functional proteomics: Methods and protocols”, Springer Humana Press, USA
Editorial board BMC Bioinformatics, Current Bioinformatics, PeerJ
Reviewing Bioinformatics, BMC Bioinformatics, BMC Evolutionary Biology, Nucleic Acids Research, Proteins: Structure, Function and Bioinformatics, Journal of Molecular Evolution
HCERES (LBMC, Lyon; 2015)
ANR, project expertise
Member of steering committee: FRM bioinformatics analysis, 2014
Member of committee, ‘Gravitation’ program, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, 2012
Evaluator, Partnership Programme, PCCA 2011, Romanian National Council for Development and Innovation
Member of Comité National, CNRS (2007-2008)
Jury member for HDR defence : M Smail, 2014
Jury member for thesis defence : Mokaddem A, Université de Tunis, 2014; E Bresso, Univeristé de Lorraine, 2013; C Kemena, CRG, Barcelona 2012, P Gouret Univ Provence 2010, France; M Vanhulsel Hasselt University, Belgium, 2009;
Organisation of conferences European Conference Computational Biology (ECCB) 2014. Journées Ouvertes en Biologie, Informatique et Mathématiques JOBIM 2010-2012. ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications AICCSA'10.
Teaching Bioinformatics and comparative genomics course, Université de la Réunion. (~20 H) (2013) Bioinformatics and comparative genomics course, Institut Pasteur Paris. (~20 H) (2010) Bioinformatics and comparative genomics course, organised by Institut Pasteur and EMBO. Brazil. (~20 H) (2008) Bioinformatics courses for IGBMC PhD program and Université de Strasbourg. (~10 H) (since 2007) Organisation of bioinformatics courses for IGBMC PhD programme and Université de Strasbourg (since 2007)
Student supervision PhD thesis: Aouled El Haj Mohamed S 2014-2017; Bermejo C 2013-2016; Vanhoutrève R 2013-2106; Linard B 2009-2012; Aniba MR 2007-2010;
Masters: Gass H 2016; Gilg M 2016; Bruxelles T 2015; Khenoussi W 2014; Bermejo C 2012; Schneider 2012; Lahure A 2011; Tankari A 2009; Karstens K 2008; Aniba MR 2007.
Prizes ISI Web of Science, highly cited researcher in Biology and Biochemistry (isihighlycited.com, >75,000 citations); Prix Madeleine Lecoq de l’Académie des Sciences (2007); Prix Cristal du CNRS (2005)
Dr. Julie Thompson ICube, UMR CNRS 7357 Faculté de Médecine Bât. 3 5ième étage, 11 rue Humann F-67000 Strasbourg
Mailing address: Faculté de Médecine ICube, UMR 7357 LBGI 4, rue Kirschleger F- 67085 Strasbourg cedex
Tel : +33 (0)3 68 85 32 96
Mail : email@example.com